September 2, 2013

5th Anniversary Wooden Gifts using Americana Multi Surface Satin and Stencils

When I was on the search for the perfect 5th wedding anniversary gift for my husband, it dawned on me that it was the perfect time to get crafty with my bad self.

I have seen these beautiful, yes masculine, jewelry boxes at local home decor stores and thought to myself I can totally make that. So...here goes!

Materials

Wooden box in the shape and size of your choice {I went with a standard round box}
Paint brushes
Americana Multi Surface Satin in the colors of your choice {I chose Dolphin and Mushroom}
Cup for water
Sponge wedge
Paper towel
Americana geometric stencils {oh hey...I designed the geometric one that is NEW for 2013!}
Fine sandpaper {optional}


First, wipe down your wooden box to clear any dust from being up on the shelf at the store. Next, water down a bit of your lighter Americana Multi Surface Satin color. Paint it on the wooden box, rubbing off the excess paint with paper towel.

Essentially, you are using the paint as a custom wood stain. Cool, right? The more you rub with a paper towel, the more of a distressed look you will have in the end.

Where can you find these awesome new paints from DecoArt? Americana Multi-Surface Satins are available for purchase at Michaels, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, and other fine craft retailers.

Once you have allowed the box to dry entirely, you are ready to get stenciling. Carefully place your stencil over the area on your box that you want to embellish, and with your sponge wedge, paint your second color {the darker tone} over the stencil. Use a dabbing motion and add the paint on very lightly. You may want to remove some of the excess paint

Peel away the stencil, and clean it off while you wait for the paint to dry a bit. Once the paint is completely dry, you can go in with your fine sandpaper and distress to your hearts content. You can choose to do only the edges, or go over the entire surface. Alternatively, if you'd prefer not to use sandpaper, you can wait until your paint is almost dry and distress with a dry paint brush, wire brush, or steel wool.

I absolutely love the worn look of this box and think that my husband will love it as well!


Now you can SAVE on the Americana Multi Surface Satin (US Residents only)



Disclaimer: I am a part of DecoArt Core Blogger Program and was financially compensated for this post. The concept, views and opinions expressed are my own.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! My husband actually researched what to buy for 5th, 6th anniversary etc...and I was very impressed!

Unknown said...

I love that you always stick with the traditional gifts. So great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips