October 11, 2016

5 Minutes with Megan

Welcome back to our 5 Minutes With segment, where we spend a bit of time getting to know the individuals of this incredible doula team!

This month, you get to meet Megan. She is one of our doulas in Toronto, and she has a huge passion for evidence based birthing information, and supporting women throughout their journey to motherhood.



So tell us about the woman behind the doula - what do you like to do on your days off? 

On my days off from doula work, I love to explore Toronto with my toddler. Some of our favourite places include the zoo, Riverdale Farm and the Science Centre. I also enjoy doing theatre in my spare time, just for fun. It's something I have been doing since I was a kid, and I recently reignited my passion for theatre as an adult.
 
What is your favourite birth support and why? 

My favourite birth support is the rebozo, not only for it's practical use but also for it's rich and meaningful history. It can be used to support birthing people in so many ways, both physically and emotionally that I find it to be an indispensable extension of both my hands and my heart. 

 Why did you want to go into doula work? 
 
I wanted to get into doula work to help families know that they are the decision makers in their birth experience, and to provide any support that they might need to feel empowered and positive during their birth. 

What other areas of parenting and birth are you passionate about? Do they influence your work as a doula? 

 I am also passionate about babywearing. I found that wearing my son made my life as a new parent so much easier and helped me bond with him. I bring that passion into my doula w by being able to help clients sort through all of the (many!) babywearing options to find what might work best for them and providing information about our local babywearing groups' meetings, if babywearing is something that interests them. 

What advice do you have for a new (or new again) mom as she nears birth?

The best advice that I have for a mom preparing for birth is to trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right, ask questions, get second opinions, feel free to say no. You are the prime decision maker in your birth, trust your gut and do what feels right for you and your family.


To get in touch with Megan and schedule in your empowered birthing experience with our Toronto team, email megan@sweetstellas.com

xoxo
Shannon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips