August 8, 2014

Let Your Heart Be Your Arrow #purpose #postpartum #doula


Have you ever had an experience that completely changed your view on something, for the better? That's what having a doula involved in our pregnancy and birth process has been like.

photo credit Lainie Hird Photography
With our first pregnancy, I had it rough. I was super sick, lost a lot of weight (but was still incredibly overweight and inactive), had a long labor process, birth trauma and, eventually, postpartum depression. I felt alone, like noone understood. I felt like I didn't know myself. I couldn't understand why I was so angry all the time. Angry at my body, resentful at myself for being angry. It was just...it was not a good experience.

When we hired our doula, Jena, we sought to change that experience and empower ourselves to feel confident in our decisions. My pregnancy was fantastic, and our labour process was amazing, even with a long early-labor process. Our postpartum period (so far) has been a smooth transition, full of love, laughter, and two parents who love each other more now than the day they got married.

Then, I didn't know the value of self care. Now, I do.
Then, I didn't know how harmful negative self talk could be. Now, I do.
Then, I doubted myself at every decision. Now, I take pride in knowing that I am doing the absolute best that I can for my boys.


The now is what has shaped my desire to help ease the transition for other moms that may be being faced with birth trauma, self doubt, negativity and need some support.

So, I am embarking on becoming a certified postpartum doula.


What does a postpartum doula do? She gives support to the new parents emotionally, mentally and physically in whatever area they need. Personally, I want to focus on the emotional and mental support that new (and new again) moms need in the first few weeks when they are home with their newborn, their spouse has returned to work and they're thinking...

Oh God, what do I do now?! I'm all alone with this tiny little babe and I'm responsible. What if I screw up? What if I do something wrong? How am I going to do this?

I've been there, felt that, and come out on the other side. I've battled the dark corners of postpartum depression, and know the good, bad and ugly. I am building my toolkit to make sure that the families I work with feel empowered, confident in their decisions, and that the moms feel supported, whole and inspired with purpose.


Right now, there's a lot of learning, reading, and researching going on as I await the training workshop that will lead to certification. I am so excited to be working with a few moms right now as they get closer to the birth of their babes, have just had their babes and others who are anticipating becoming pregnant, to help them navigate their journey into parenthood.

If you are interested in postpartum doula services, have had a great experience with a doula (birth or postpartum), let me know! I'd love to hear from you!!


signature

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! You will be fabulous!

Hay Hay said...

This is so amazing, Shannon! I cannot wait to follow you on your new adventure!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! You will be amazing at this calling. I truly believe that the difficult challenges we face often point us to the exact path we are supposed to be on. We just can't see it when we're in the middle of the struggles.

Unknown said...

Cant wait to follow you through this new adventure!

Shan said...

Thank you all, so VERY much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips