May 24, 2012

SWH4T$: Strawberry Lentil Cookies

As a busy mom, with a somewhat picky toddler, I need easy and quick ways to ensure that he's getting the protein and nutrients that he needs to be the ever-ready bunny that he is.

I knew that I had a bag of lentils in the cupboard, so I cooked up a batch (I think 1/2 a cup of dry lentils...wowzah do they make alot!).

Now...if you haven't cooked with lentils before...they're not the most appetizing in colour, smell of really flavour. In soup? sure. Alone...kinda gross.

Then I had a thought...what if I mixed them with fruit, and pureed them down into a sauce? Would he eat them then?

You betcha...when they were made into Strawberry Lentil Oatmeal Cookies! The best part: thay just taste like strawberry oatmeal cookies! You can't even tell that the lentils are in there! Sneaky...and smart!

1 tsp. baking powder
   1/4 tsp. salt
  1/2 c. butter
  1/2 c. sugar
  2 egg whites
  2 c. rolled oats (I had large flake on hand, so that's what I used)
  2 c. all purpose flour
  1 c. strawberry lentil puree
 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients, then add and mix the wet ingredients. If you have a cookie scoop, I recommend using it so that your cookies turn out evenly and lovely.

Bake for 11mins.

I found that this made a decent amount of cookies, about 5 dozen so I wrapped them in plastic wrap and popped them in the freezer so I could take them out and have {healthy} cookies on hand whenever needed.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These look delicious!!

New follower from the blog hop :) Can't wait to catch up on your posts!!

I hope you get a chance to check out my blog.

xo, Jersey Girl

hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips