Similar to how a birth doula provides mental and emotional support during labour and birth, a postppartum doula helps ease the parents transition once they return home from the hospital or birthing centre.
A few things that a postpartum doula does are...
- Food delivery
- Breastfeeding support
- Helping the parents process their birth experience
- Give mom an outlet to scream, cry, laugh, talk
- Help partner with tips and tricks to support mom through things like postpartum anxiety, depression, and self care
- Deliver self care kit and give mom some peace and quiet
- Meet mom for a coffee date, without kiddos
Postpartum Doula's are incredible people who are there to support you through the emotional ups and down of your transition to parenthood. If you have older children, they are super effective with distracting them while you tend to baby, or taking both kiddos off your hands for a little while so you can take a few minutes out for yourself.
Consider adding a Postpartum Doula to your recovery plan for after your baby arrives. You never know...a waffle and juice delivery may be just what you need when you've had a particularly rough night with your baby!