February 4, 2015

When It's Time to Slow Down #FCRR #doinit

You know that time when you didn't listen to your body? When you looked at your training schedule, and against our better judgment still went to the training run and thought oh well maybe the cold air will clear out my congested lungs and I'll feel great!, only to have to turn back a half mile into your run and call it a day?



That was me this past Sunday at the FCRR Farm Boy training run. To say I was disappointed when I circled back in an understatement, but I am actually quite thankful that it happened. I needed for it to happen.

I got to talking with Shauna, the Community Director, and she put things into incredible perspective for me. She used to run nationally...on scholarship...like, one of those amazing runners that I look up to and admire. She was telling me about the training group she leads and the amazing athletes that she works with on a daily basis. Individuals who run for the fun of it, who just want to have a fantastic experience. Sure, she used to be competitive but now it's about the experience. The fun. The miles run. The distance.

Not. The. Pace.

These winter training runs have been difficult, and fitting them into a busy, fulltime work-from-home mom schedule isn't for the faint of heart. Add in two sick kiddos...whew!

When all of the runners came back, we started talking about when you listen to your body. Rest days are meant for resting, not for running. If you're sick, sit out your training run. What I love about this group and #FCRR is that everyone just wants you to finish...it doesn't matter if you are first or if you are last. Your community is there, supporting you and cheering you on, while you do your best.

1 mile
5 miles
13.1 miles

At the end of the day, it's all the same, and all that matters is that I got out there and tried. This training experience has been amazing so far, for so many unexpected reasons.

80 days to go!

Looking to ramp up your training?


I could ramble on for days about how supportive everyone is at the #FCRR training runs. They aren't about racing, and it's not about time. It's not about being a super-athlete. It's about trying your best, putting one foot in front of the other, and enjoying every moment.

signature

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips