May 8, 2014

Le Chocolat Mother's Day Primer 5km #running #fitmama #healthypregnancy

Who in the world would have ever thought that at 8months pregnant, I would complete a 5km race? Not this girl, but I certainly did and it was honestly the best race experience that I have ever had.



At the beginning of the race, not even half way into the first km, all I could think was what was I thinking? This is awful and I want to stop running right now!  Then I saw a group of people; Dad's with their kids who were cheering their moms and wives on, and they saw my shirt. They started clapping and cheering, ringing their cowbell and this little girl had pom poms. They were SO excited and it was the motivation that I needed to keep going.

While I didn't finish with the best time ever, I also didn't finish last. At the 5km marker, I was at 52 mins and my goals was "finish in under an hour." I smiled and kept pushing myself.

When I was walk/running up the last leg and saw my friend Rebecca, I was gassed, but then I saw it...the finish line. I smiled, she walked with me and I said something to the effect of needing to run and off I went. The amount of cheers, yells, cowbells and smiles were incredible! The crowd was definitely on my side, and I even had strangers asking for a hug or a photo with me after the race!
 
Having the girls at the finish line was the best. They were hooting and hollaring at me, I got a high five from a very handsome firefighter, and then they yelled that they had a puppy and I pretty much sprinted over to them! She was so cute!!!


And I even made the news! This photo was on windsorite.ca!


I ran about 4mins, then would walk a minute...run another couple of minutes...walk for a few minutes. I had some issues with my feet (my new arch supports, per my doctor, gave me massive blisters and while it felt better to run on my feet, it made my belly tight...) but all in all, I'm really proud of my will and my determination.

The aftermath has been interesting...my belly feels fine, and the little guy has been active...but he's definitely moved. He's not lying diagonally anymore...oh no. His head is right smack down low in the middle and his little bum is right in the middle at the top. Yikes!

The other issue is my left foot. Basically, if it's not wrapped and taped, it feels the same way my right did when I broke two bones on the top. I would bet dollars to donuts (mmmm....donuts) that I have a stress fracture on the top of my left foot. On my list to talk to my doctor (this time my resident, not my OB, as my resident is a little more in tune with my running and fitness during this pregnancy than my OB who pops in from time to time for baby specific needs) and otherwise just taking it easy over the next week and a bit. If there's running to be done, it will be in much much shorter splits (1min run/1min walk) and for shorter distances (3km max).

I have to give credit to Ruffles With Love for my awesome tank, fancy shoes by Under Armor and SweatyBands for my headband. My running tank certainly garnered alot of attention, and made me feel silly and fun going into my last race before I have this baby!

And yes...I'm already filling out my fall race calendar!

Cheers to another medal, a great experience and a fantastic weekend with the girls!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Hay Hay said...

Great Job, Shannon! You're such an inspiration!!

Rebecca Nash-Emerson said...

WTG Shannon!
I'm so thrilled to have been part of this experience with you. And honoured to have made the mention list for your post. I think you inspired a lot of people that day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips