March 31, 2014

Hanging up the Kettlebell #fitmama #pregnancy

So for the past few weeks I've had a pain...and it hasn't been pleasant. I chatted with my doula, Jena, about what was going on and went to the doctor only to find out that I've basically overextended the ligaments in my pelvic floor.

25week belly that is shooting right out from my hips! No wonder everything is sore!


At my next OB appointment, running is on the list of topics to chat about. I cannot tell you how much this hurts my heart. While I know that I have to be safe, and I have to do what's best for the little guy and I, I really really really do not want to give up running.

When I talked to Jena after my doctor's appointment, we talked about what I have been doing while waiting for the crazy snow to go away, and the temperature to more conducive to running outside. I told her about my kettlebell circuit that I do a couple of times a week. Jena and I discussed options on how I can be active and safe during my pregnancy - her background as a pre and post natal yoga teacher helped explain some of my alignment concerns, so I could better choose the best option for me

If you haven't done something regularly prior to becoming pregnant, don't be silly. Don't pick it up now, unless it is something like a prenatal yoga or pilates class led by a certified trainer who can help with positioning, allignment and ensure you are being safe.

Don't be me. Don't mess up your pelvic floor and mucles...because they have some very serious work to do in a few months!

So, for now, my kettlebell has been put away, as have my resistance bands. Anything that involves twisting and turning, and planting my feet in one position while moving the rest of my body....it's off the table for now.

In terms of running, Jena suggested starting my 5K Runner app from Day 1 and doing shorter walk/run splits. No more 10-15minute running intervals, with 3-5minute walk splits. I am comfortable with this plan, and it makes me happy that I don't have to throw in my running towel just yet. {note: I started this on the weekend since we are having gorgeous weather right now, and it's helping tremendously!}

I have the Run for Retina coming up April 13th, then my next OB appointment on April 15th where we will discuss the future month. Fingers crossed that my doctor is ok with me running at least until May 4th when my next 5km is!

Disclaimer: there will be kettlebell exercises and recaps posting over the next couple of months, but again, I stress. DO NOT pick up a new exercise during pregnancy just because it looks fun. I did kettlebells prior to pregnancy, but not regularly enough to continue doing them through my pregnancy.

Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips