January 24, 2013

Ovarian Cancer Canada

Did you know...that for the past two years, I have taken on the role of Co-Chair and Public Relations Coordinator for the Ovarian Cancer Canada Walk of Hope in London, Ontario?


Many ask me why I got involved. Do I have a family member who's suffered from ovarian cancer? Why is this cause important to me?

Prior to getting involved in the campaign, I didn't know anyone directly impacted. When I got involved, it was more to challenge myself to walking a 5km at 10wks postpartum than anything else. When I was at the event, I was disappointed in how it was run, and contacted OCC to see if there was any way that I could help.

Shortly after, I got involved as the CoChair and the campaign took on a life of it's own. In my first year of planning, we raised just over $8000 by walk day. Fast forward to last year's walk {my second at CoChair}, and we raised $17000. Really amazing!

This year, my team has grown to include more coordinators since we have grown by leaps and bounds in participants and volunteers, and we already have everything underway for September.

How do you get motivated and impact your community? Leave me some comments!


Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips