November 26, 2012

Guest Blogger: Erin Has a Blog





The HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLIIIIDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAYYYSSSSSSSS are almost here!  Ahhhh!  Anyone else feeling that time crunch to a) decorate, b) shop for gifts, and c) get organized!!?!?

Yea, me neither!

NOT!

Ok, so for those of you who aren’t familiar with my blog (which I’m sure is all of you!), I tend to attempt to do things (like recipes, crafts and activities in general), and write about it.  This guest post will be no different, so thanks Shannon for having me.

I was really stuck at what I wanted to attempt for this post.  Should I make some sort of decoration?  I did that last year when I attempted to make a Christmas wreath (though in my defense, it was pretty good for a first attempt).  Should I talk about decorating for the holidays?  All my decorating tips come literally directly from Martha Stewart’s holiday mags, so maybe plagiarism is not the best idea here.  What I did come up with was baking.  Baking is always fun!  AND always has the chance of either being superbly amazing, OR horribly inedible.  How did my baking go you ask?  Well my friends, let’s just say it didn’t get eaten. 

A gong show would be the best way to describe it.


Nothing says holidays like the smell of cinnamon in the air.  Mmmmmm cinnamon!  I don’t care what time of the year it is, my favourite pie is always pumpkin!  I just cannot get enough of it!  So as per usual, my first step in wanting to cook/bake anything is to Google recipes.  BAM!!!!  Like a bazillion hits come up for pumpkin pie, and like most normal people, I choose the first one.  It’s first, so it must be good right?  For whatever reason, I didn’t take any pictures of the pie (blogger fail, I know!), but you must take my word for it when I say it looked pretty normal.  A little more orangey than pumpkin pie usually is, but the recipe called for pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.  It also strangely left out sugar.  That is where the recipe took a turn for the worst I feel. 

It was mushy, not sweet at all… just kind of gooey.  I couldn’t even finish one piece.  It was so very sad. 

The baking fail doesn’t just end there though, oh no, it gets worse (and this, I have pictures of!).  So, what tastes delicious with pumpkin pie (or any pie for that matter?!)?  Whip cream!  Mmmmmm whip cream!  Before this whole baking monstrosity happened, I had purchased a carton of whipping cream and was extremely excited to make for the first time ever, my own whip cream (as opposed to buying an aerosol).  I pour it all out into a bowl, and start whipping first with a whisk.  I’m whipping, and whipping and whipping, and really thinking it’s taking forever.  So I pull out my hand held mixer, and I mix, and mix and mix and it’s getting frothy, but not firming up at all.  So I mix a little more, and still a little more…..

Can you guess where I’m going with this?  I totally bought table cream.  Two thumbs down for this blogger.    Anywho, lessons learned today were: 1. Always put sugar in pumpkin pie (even when the recipe does not call for it), and 2.  Always check carton of cream for the words “Whipping Cream”.


Erin is the blogger being Erin Has a Blog, where she writes about every day life, food, travel and trying new things. Read more about her daily life and adventures here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips