December 19, 2011

Mompreneur Monday: SariBlue

Good morning everyone!! Today, I'd like to introduce you to Christine - fellow member of The Artisan Group and owner of SariBlue, a shop that embraces the evil eye motif and creates incredible, positive jewellery!

I first learned of the evil eye while on my honeymoon in Europe. They were absolutely everywhere, especially in Istanbul, and we had no idea what they were. We quickly learned that they are actually a good and positive omen, not the evil or bad association that we sometimes think.

Christine uses this symbol to create really amazing, unique pieces of art. Read about who SariBlue is and what she creates in today's Mompreneur Monday feature.

What do you do?

So the easy answer, wait there is no easy answer….

The easy answer to what I do as Sari founder and designer of SariBlue; is design and make a collection of jewelry centered on classically made glass bead evil eyes. My jewelry is made here outside of Boston in my home shop. I go back and forth to Turkey to get the beads directly from the bead makers. As designer, crafter, entrepreneur, I not only do what you think you would do as an artist but I spent a ton of time marketing, meeting people, writing, planning, changing ideas, photographing, putting items on my online shops, attending fairs, writing, researching and did I say writing? There is so much to do, I literally spend or let’s say could spend every waking hour on SariBlue and would Love to!!! I love all of it!! I love the real artist part, I adore meeting people and telling them the story about the shop and history about the evil eye, love writing, marketing and the business decision side, trouble is there is not enough time in the day and this is not all I do.

The hard answer… I have another job!! Oh wait, do I have a third job? Or a fourth? Hang on hang on… back up!!

Ok let’s count:

Let’s start with #1:

I am a mom to two really terrific girls, now I know we all love our kids and we all think they are awesome and one of a kind and super cool, and mine really fit that description! I guess this is why moms have their own kids! We love to hear about other moms and how they love their children but we know, ours are really the best ;) So my little muses as I call them are; “G” who just turned seven and “M” will be nine, but is going on forty-five. They are athletes, fantastic students, artists in their own right and truly the push off the preverbal cliff to start SariBlue. They are my drive and inspiration and also the typical kids who force you to take a timeout yourself. Truly the best and most important thing I have or ever will do.

Job #2:

Is clearly SariBlue as mentioned above fills a good percentage of my waking hours which are many because I am not a sleeper…….

Job#3:

Believe it, or not circling back to job number one. I am a taxi driver, volunteer within the school as room parent for both my girls classrooms, soccer coach for my “G’s” co-ed under seven year old team and very active babysitter for my nephew “C” who is just barely two. Yes, kids and community involvement matter, a lot!! Love it! It is great!!

Job #4:

Now we can get really complicated here!! Prior to SariBlue, (which is truly what I have wanted to do most of my life, outside of being a mom, is have my own shop in the creative realm) I worked in very proper corporate environments, as well as startup technology environments. I am still currently engaged with one of those companies. I have worked for them for six years. My role has changed and morphed over time and would almost be impossible to describe in a few short lines. My degree is in Psychology; with focus on education and history, with a year in Ireland studying conflict resolution. These come in handy in my corporate function as head of Human Resources and Operations. Over these last few years I have laid myself off twice, rehired myself, cut my salary and time and redefined my own job. I also interact with my company’s third party distributors who are all located internationally, regarding cash flow and collections.

No way you say!! And I say, do you recall I don’t sleep? Clearly at the moment my hours with the company are small.

How do you maximize your time as a busy mom running a business?

The no sleep thing really helps but I would not recommend it to anyone!! Not good. Sometimes I am able to get multiple things done at the same time for example; I can write a segment for use in multiple articles then write the entire article after. Keeping priority lists. One that I have a very hard time with, knowing when to say no. Grouping things together, so do all the housework together but don’t be afraid to throw a load of laundry in while in the middle of making jewelry. Have certain days of the week for certain things: Tuesday I go to the office for the company job. Thursday is for shopping. Friday is making pieces. Of course all subject to change. This is super hard but telling the kids when something is really important “Girls this is super important for our business, give mom one hour then we can play candyland”. It helps J


What do you see as your greatest challenge being a MOMpreneur?

The word challenge gets me excited. I like most of the business challenge and the learning scale of something new. So far there is nothing (touch wood) that has shaken me or made me rethink this. It is the mom part of anything, not just this that takes me away from the girls that I find daunting. It is the age old question of “to be only a mom or a mom and other things”. I loudly say do what YOU want and not what anyone or any group (society, culture) tells you to do, clearly if you get my gist and sense of humor, silliness and go for it girl attitude you know which side my bread has its nutella on. My issue or challenge is guilt: My own personal struggle when I worked like a crazy person traveling all over the world, sometimes for two weeks at a time with very small kids at home: massive guilt (by the way to this day cannot forgive myself for it); and now guilt when I don’t tuck them in long enough (so amazing I am with them more than most moms I know).


What advice do you have for other moms looking to start a business?

Of course, go for it. BUT: I hope they are really starting something they love. Too many people try something that is the latest greatest thing (manufactured jewelry, franchised something or other, or working for someone else which does work for some people) because it looks like a money maker, which is important. But be sure you want to be working for someone else and like that setup, and product. So in other words, do your due diligence, if it is the franchise or the industry or the solubility of the items what draws you in?
Don’t do it just because it sounds ok. You will need to work harder than you can imagine so you need to have passion. Love and prosperity and it will be wonderful. The last thing should really be support, real solid support. Do you have people in your corner that understand what you want to do? Not do it for you, but will be open to your ideas?

Is there anything additional you'd like to share?

My press release is on my site: here is the start of it...SariBlue is very pleased to announce that their jewelry collection has been chosen to be featured in association with The Artisan Group at a luxury Gift Lounge hosted by GBK Productions in honor of The 2012 Golden Globes, their Nominees and Presenters.Link

SariBlue’s exclusive “One” evil eye pendant and earrings will be prominently featured on display at The Artisan Group’s exhibit, and all attending celebrities will receive this signature piece in their swag bags. This event will also be attended by over 75 TV and print media outlets.


1 comment:

Sari said...

Thank you so much for this. It is very much "raw" really me talking to you and all the moms out there. You do a great job with your blog and I enjoy reading about all the women like us, thank you very much for helping us all feel a part of the same team.
xoxoxo
Sari

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips